11 September 2008

piazza s.s. annunziata

Is my new favorite piazza (it used to be Piazza San Marco, but then I realized that the bus stops really did distract from the ambiance). Yesterday was an interesting day because of my coffee-drinking habits. My body reacts weirdly to caffeine when I don't eat enough at the same time, and yesterday an extra macchiato between classes meant that I was feeling horrible by mid-day. I went home to take a nap, which ended up lasting four hours. Oops. It was five by the time I got my very-hungry self back out to the city. I ended up going to this little vegetarian cafe called 'Caffelatte' out in the San Marco area of the city, on the Via Degli Alfani. And even better, across the street from this cafe was a record store called Rock Bottom. It was wall-to-ceiling vinyl with rare titles and original pressings hanging on display, including a first-press edition of Chirping Crickets (from Buddy Holly & the Crickets) that was on sale for 1,100 euros. Hilariously, a first edition of Placebo's Placebo is worth 65 euros. But the store is awesome and I can't wait to go back.

Weekend plans, weekend plans... I have a class trip to Cararra and Pietrasanta tomorrow, which is mildly exciting, and where the buses leave at seven, which is not. I am also unsure about the weather tomorrow, in the big fucking rock pit under the potentially beating sun. Whatever. What I am most excited about this weekend are trips to several flea markets around the area. On Saturday, I am definitely going to the Sant'Ambroglio farmer's market and the flea market at Piazza Ciumpo near Santa Croce. Sunday is the monthly flea market at Santo Spirito in the Oltrarno, across the river from the main center of Florence, which is supposed to be really, really good and full of little antique treasures and things like that. While it is not necessarily buying from on-a-blanket-in-the-mud, I am sincerely excited for potential treasures. I need a coin purse at the very least, and possibly a new school bag.

No comments: