15 September 2008

dailies

Today in Italian class, we talked about our favorite colors. When it was my turn, I asked "Come se dici 'teal'?" and was rewarded with the blankest of looks from my Italian professor. I think this means this country isn't for me. Otherwise, today and the past weekend have been really good. I think I am switching out of one of my art history classes (Art of the Late Medieval and Black Death) and into a class on 16th century Italian architecture instead. Even though I'm real interested in the material of the Black Death class, I absolutely cannot stand the professor and her undying love for her own voice. Whatever. Over the weekend, I went flea-marketting, which was very rewarding. On Saturday, even though it rained intermittently all day, I went to the market at Piazza del Ciompi, where I found the most amazing antique accordion. I've been obsessing over it ever since, which is really bad because one, it costs 150 euros and two, how the fuck am I going to bring/ship home an accordion? I've been playing (and I know I've been playing) a psychological game with myself, asking everyone I know (and plenty of people whom I don't) to tell me that buying an antique accordion of dubious renown when I don't even play the accordion is a very bad idea whilst knowing the entire time that I will (possibly) eventually cave and buy the damn thing. It's a vintage accordion! I think it's made of Bakelite! If I can bargain down to under one hundred euros...

Sunday might have been even better because Katie Wingate, a Wellesley girl on the program, and I went to the monthly flea market at Santo Spirito, across the Arno. There, I did cave in and spent 90 euros (my first big purchase, not including books) on a vintage Fendi purse. Even if it's fake (which I really don't think it is) it's a beautiful piece of leatherwork. I also obsessed over it the rest of Sunday, which we decided meant that no matter what, it was a good purchase. I also bought beautiful clip-on daisy earrings (which match my daisy-chain necklace) and a brown velvet sheath dress that will take me through the entire fall here.

No comments: