15 September 2008

found in translation

Luckily for me, certain cultural institutions transcend all national borders. I am talking of course, about Chinese takeout, which was Kristin and mine's dinner on Friday night due to a miscommunication between us and our host mom. I never thought I would ever have a conversation in English, Mandarin, and pidgin Italian, but I can certainly cross that little item off my list now. Grease, sugar, and pure MSG never tastes as good as after a day of hiking, climbing, and avoiding marble dust. I am talking of course about the site visit to Carrara and Pietrasanta on Friday, which wasn't so much a rock pit as a marble mountain, and a quarry inside the mountain. We... got to wear hard hats? We learned from our droll, British (was that redundant? Perhaps) tour guide, who was also an artist in residence at Pietrasanta, that colored marbles get their pigments from various natural sources, and therefore the pink marble such as the kind used on the facade of the Duomo in Florence gets its color from the shells of fossilized shrimp. It may be a stretch to say, but I'm saying anyways that the Duomo is clad in shellfish. Definitely not kosher, literally! I crack myself (and only myself) up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not even kidding i had the same experience in germany...we went for chinese food and 2 of my friends worked together using a little german and a lot of chinese and english to make it through dinner. i miss you like whoa.
x0 mcz