16 November 2008

book reviews

From the three I bought at the Persephone Bookshop in London over fall break:
Actually, this is pretty counterintuitive and completely a ploy to avoid work. Anyways, the three books I bought were Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day, Farewell Leicester Square, and They Can't Ration These. I've finished Miss Pettigrew and am about two-thirds of the way through Farewell Leicester Square. Miss Pettigrew was thoroughly diverting, but reminded me to no small account why exactly I always (strive to) read the book before watching the film. I don't like the film any less, but just like what the shopkeeper at Persephone told me, the book is very different and I would like the novel much more. True on both accounts. Mom, you would like the book - definitely read it when I return. Farewell Leicester Square is quite good so far, and easier to get through than I thought it would be. It's basically about the discrete anti-Semitism of bougeois London in the interwar period; about a Jewish film director named Alec Berman and semi-self-inflicted, semi-environmental prejudices that he faces. The author, Betty Miller, does a great job of probing the psychologoical depths and paralyzing self-doubt (hey!) of the characters, especially Alec and his gentile wife, Catherine.

Obviously, The Brothers Karamazov, started in the second week of September, still has not progressed beyond page three hundred seventy-something. Dimitri is furious, Ivan is totally giving me the "I told you so" look and Aloysha is already praying for my immortal soul. And Infinite Jest? Pretty sure it has a fine coating of dust on its thick spine. Shame, shame away.


1 comment:

Carlotta said...

Don't finish the Brothers K. I am certain that it causes mental breakdowns. It almost gave me one this weekend after just glancing over it. Although, granted, I was browsing through the grand inquisitor.